Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Old Friends and Loud Music


A week ago Saturday, FBG and I made our way to the Sagebrush Cantina for my 40th reunion. It was a beautiful summer evening and I was looking forward to seeing friends and acquaintances and sharing memories.

As we walked to the entrance, all of the sudden I had a mini panic attack. I felt like I was 17 and walking into the dance, feeling insecure and awkward. I told FBG I wanted to go home. He laughed and said, “Come on” and in we went.

Reunions are such odd things. People who you shared so much with so many years ago surround you. They look familiar and yet different. It is almost surreal!

Everyone was friendly, talkative and fun to be with. It was a hoot to see everyone looking so carefully at each other’s tags to see who was who. Laughter and screams of recognition filled the air as folks found old friends they had been looking for.  Little groups formed as people got reacquainted.We grumbled because the 60’s/70’s music they were playing was so loud it was hard to hear each other. Then we laughed at the irony of it, since we used to play that exact music so loudly that many of us have hearing loss! We danced, talked and ate tacos under the moon. A great time was had by all.

And then *poof* the evening was over and we all went our separate ways. Back to our regular lives, with the people we know and love now. There were lots of promises made to keep in touch and not let so many years go by before meeting up again. Such are the promises of reunions. I was glad I went and that FBG made me go in and not chicken out.

And since some of you might be wondering-there was not a bottle of Boones Farm wine in sight. Too bad. J

Old friends, old friends sat on their park bench like bookends
A newspaper blowin' through the grass
Falls on the round toes of the high shoes of the old friends

Old friends, winter companions, the old men
Lost in their overcoats, waiting for the sun
The sounds of the city sifting through trees
Settles like dust on the shoulders of the old friends

Can you imagine us years from today, sharing a park bench quietly
How terribly strange to be seventy

Old friends, memory brushes the same years, silently sharing the same fears

~Simon and Garfunkel

6 comments:

  1. Your post reminded me of the bittersweet song by Dan Fogelberg - Same Old Lang Syne. The end of it went:
    We drank a toast to innocence
    We drank a toast to time
    Reliving in our eloquence
    Another 'auld lang syne'...
    Just for a moment I was
    back at school
    And felt that old familiar pain
    And as I turned to make
    my way back home
    The snow turned into rain --

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful song...so fitting...

    ReplyDelete
  3. so happy you let FBG talk you into staying. we had such a great time, didn't we? and the promise to stay in touch is real! (both songs quoted here are perfect!) don't know about you, but i didn't miss the boones farm at all! haha.
    from an old friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes, Karin, I am so glad I came in! I didn't miss the boones farm :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a cute blog love the title!! Your darling

    http://abpetite.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I must say I really enjoy your writing! I loved the last post, too. Glad you had fun at your reunion, and I'm glad your hubby wouldn't let you chicken out, because I loved reading about it!

    ReplyDelete