Sunday, July 29, 2012

Deep Thoughts-Olympic Style

I love the Olympics. Winter and Summer. FBG unfortunately doesn't share my same enthusiasm. This can cause a little issue during TV time. In our house, he usually controls the remote for the TV and I get to control the radio stations in the car. It is a perfect arrangement . While he surfs the channels looking for something with cowboys in it, I surf the web looking at Pintrest and FB. In the car, while I change the radio channels in search of  my favorite country song, he...um...looks out the window. However, during the Olympics, he still controls the remote, but I change the channel every time he leaves the room. He comes back and watches skeet shooting, or water polo or whatever I have changed to. He watches patiently and never complains. I appreciate that about him. Of course, if I get up, he changes to Gunsmoke or Bonanza or anything with a guy and a horse...and I (being a nice wife *ahem*) don't complain and go back to surfing the web. That is, until, he leaves the room and then... well, you see how it goes!

When I do grab the remote and watch the games, I often have odd thoughts and questions. Since this is my blog, I will share them with you, in no particular order.

I thought about the Hunger Games during the opening ceremonies. (That status update caused some good discussion on my FB page!)
I would really like to go sculling.
Does anyone else hide their eyes at times while watching gymnastics?
I rather liked Mr. Bean's part in the opening ceremonies.
Can you imagine how much food water polo players get to eat?
Why are the male beach volley ball players so covered up and female ones so...exposed? ( I do know the answer to that one actually)
Why Ryan Seacrest?
How many commercials can Morgan Freeman narrate?
Does every commercial need to try to make us cry?
Do any of you know an actually Olympic athlete?
Ryan Seacrest?
Is Michael Phelps a nice guy or a jerk?
Is that a bad thing to wonder?

Now, I am curious if any of you are watching the Olympics. If you are, are there any random thoughts or questions rolling around in your head? Please share them in the comments! Don't be shy!


Lastly, do you know this lady?


(AP Photo)

She is Kim Rhode and she has won more gold medals than anyone in the Olympics ever~in skeet shooting!
Here is a link to her story- it is inspiring and worth the read.
http://goo.gl/WnZts

Cheers to Kim and to all the athletes at the games!

(Don't forget to chime in with your thoughts!)


2 comments:

  1. LOVED your blog! Hmm...I'm a bit like both you and your hubby. Sometimes I can get really engrossed in the games, and other times, my mind is wandering. Except, my thoughts go to "look how pretty her make up is", or "how do those guys (swimmers) shave every hair on their body SO CLOSE?" But more often than not, I am thinking about what I can get for a snack. :)
    I think Kim is awesome and not given the attention she has deserved. Last night, one of the people interviewed (can't remember who) said that if she were involved in a different event, she would have been the "sweetheart" of the olympics.
    And yes, I usually close my eyes during the gymnastics events when the replay of the mistakes are going on. OUCH.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm afraid my ADD prevents me from mentally remaining entertained. I want to be "into" it but my mind wanders - as apparently yours does based on your random thoughts. I love that about you. Except my mind goes to:
    I wonder if it hurts her feet when that female gymnast hits the balance beam so hard.
    My feet kinda hurt now.
    Maybe I'll put some lotion on them.
    Ooops I'm almost out of lotion.
    I need to go shopping.
    Should I shop at Vons or Raleys.
    They have great coffee at Raleys.
    I want a cup of coffee.
    No, it's too late, I'll be up all night going to the potty.
    I already don't sleep well.
    I wish I could get a decent night's sleep
    And so on And so on And so on

    I'd rather not watch the olympics. :)

    ReplyDelete